A highly regarded and well known Technical Rescue Instructor in California, Matt has been involved with Code3Rescue's Swiftwater and Technical Rope Rescue Training Program since 1997, teaching to both the fire rescue and private recreational sectors. Matt's diverse background of being a recreational climber and whitewater boater since 1990, combined with 26 years of fire service and technical rescue experience has allowed him to conduct an innovative and comprehensive course, in a team focused, fun and challenging outdoor setting.Contact Matt
Matt is a graduate of CSU Chico, with a B.S degree in Outdoor Recreation and Communication Education. He currently serves as a Battalion Chief for CAL FIRE Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit since 2013. Prior, Matt served as a Fire Captain for CAL FIRE in Tehama County for 11 years and Fire Engineer & Captain in Butte County for 10 years as a member of the Butte Interagency DART (Drowning Accident Rescue Team) and Butte Interagency Technical Rope Rescue Team from 1997 to 2003 and a member of the Butte County/CDF Helicopter Air-Rescue Team from 1999-2002.
Water rescue is a "high-risk and low-frequency" emergency, making it statistically 400% more dangerous than any other type technical rescue discipline. Matt's driving passion is to give firefighters, public safety, military officials and anyone who works in or around water, the skills and knowledge to make successful rescues and stay out of harm's way in the event of such an emergency.
Technical Rescue Qualifications
- Swiftwater & Flood Rescue-1 Operations Instructor
- Swiftwater & Flood Rescue-2 Technician Instructor
- Technical Rope Rescue I & II Instructor
- CSFM River and Flood Rescue Instructor
- CSFM Low Angle Rope Rescue Instructor
- CSFM Rescue Systems I & II
- CSFM Confined Space Ops
- ICS Division-Group Supervisor
- ICS Strike team/Task Force Leader
- Dive Rescue Specialist (Dive Rescue Intl')
- PADI "Rescue Diver"
- PWC Rescue Boat/Jet-Ski Rescue Tech
- CDF Helicopter Air-Rescue Tech
- Helo-Aquatic Rescue Technician